The Knoxville offices of LAET began in 1947 as part of the clinical instruction program at the University Of Tennessee College Of Law. In 1982, KLAS detached from the University and became an independent organization. In 2001, LSC mandated that the East Tennessee region programs, as well as other legal aid programs in Tennessee, merge to reduce the eight state programs to four. LAET now covers 26 counties in East Tennessee from the Tri-Cities to Chattanooga.
LAET has been part of the community fabric of East Tennessee for more than 40 years, serving 26 counties from Chattanooga to Johnson City.
With offices in Chattanooga, Knoxville, Johnson City, Maryville, and Morristown, LAET provides civil legal representation to East Tennesseans who would otherwise have no one to help them secure their basic legal rights.